Welcome to Episode 25 of The Robot Report Podcast, which brings conversations with robotics innovators straight to you. Join us each week for discussions with leading roboticists, innovative robotics companies, and other key members of the robotics community.
This week, Eugene Demaitre and I speak with Evan Drumwright, CEO and co-founder of Dextrous Robotics. The Memphis-based robotics startup, which is exiting stealth mode, is trying to automate the unloading of boxes from shipping containers. This is a major problem for logistics companies and a tough application for robotics.
Evan tells us about the company’s Chopstick system that takes a unique grasping and manipulation approach to solving this challenge. We also talk to Evan about his work on the Animo bipedal robot while working at the Honda Research Institute and his thoughts on legged robotics in general.
Aaron Prather, senior advisor for technology, research, and planning at FedEx, just last week told us on the podcast this very application could be the big problem for robotics companies to solve.
Gene and I also chat about the latest robotics investments, the remake of Short Circuit, Motional’s Level 4 autonomous vehicles that are coming to Nevada, and what a new MIT study found about how robots impact the future of work.
If you would like to be a guest on an upcoming episode of the podcast, or if you have recommendations for future guests or segment ideas, contact Steve or Eugene. For sponsorship opportunities of The Robot Report Podcast, contact Courtney Nagle for more information.
- 0-8:35 Short Circuit Remake; All-time favorite robot movies
- 8:36-39:51: Conversation with Evan Drumwright, CEO and Co-founder, Dextrous Robotics
- 39:52-40:26: RoboBusiness Direct Preview
- 40:27-46:37: Robotics Investments Recap
- 46:38-51:09: Motional OK’d for L4 autonomous vehicle tests in Nevada
- 51:10-:58:01 MIT study about robots and jobs
- 58:02-1:00:27: Happy Thanksgiving!
- The Future of Work: Building Better Jobs in an Age of Intelligent Machines
- October 2020 robotics investments recap
- Motional fully driverless vehicle tests approved in Nevada
- Short Circuit (1986 film)
- Dextrous Robotics
The post Dextrous Robotics exits stealth; how robots impact the future of work appeared first on The Robot Report.